How to fix the 'Toner Low' or 'Replace Toner' error for a Brother TN-2010 toner cartridge
If your printer continues to show the 'Toner Low' or 'Replace toner' error after replacing your cartridge, you may need to reset the printer's toner counter to continue printing.
What is the toner counter and why does it need to be reset?
Some Brother laserjet printers do not have the ability to accurately measure the level of toner remaining in the cartridge. Instead, they rely on a built-in toner counter to determine when the cartridge needs be replaced. The toner counter has a set number of pages that can be printed before a warning message appears advising to prepare a new toner for installation. When a new toner is installed, the counter should automatically reset as the data on the cartridge chip is read, however, if the printer does not initially recognise the cartridge as new, the error will still be displayed.
There are also occasions where the 'Replace toner' error appears before the cartridge has ran out. This can happen if you regularly print small amounts of text per page but exceed the number of pages set by the counter. Resetting the counter will allow you to override the error and continue using the toner cartridge - If you do reset the counter for this reason, the printer may not advise when it is low. You will need to monitor your printouts and replace the cartridge when you see a deterioration in the overall quality.
How do I reset the counter on my printer?
The steps required to reset the toner counter vary depending on what series of printer you have. Please follow the relevant instructions for your printer series below:
- Power off the printer and open the front cover.
- Whilst holding down the GO button, turn the printer on.
- When all 3 indicator lights are lit release the GO button and press GO twice.
- Once all 3 lights turn back on, press GO 5 times and wait for for the toner and drum light to turn off.
- Once this happens, close the front cover and restart the printer.
- This will turn off the toner light, clear the 'Toner Low' error and allow for continuous printing.
- With the printer turned on, open the front cover to access the toner.
- Press the Clear button.
- Press the Start button. (When you press START the screen should clear.)
- Press the Down Arrow button.
- Press the Up Arrow button. (When you press the down arrow an 'E0' should appear, which will change to '00' when you press the up arrow)
- When it says accepted, press the OK button.
- Close the front cover.
- This will clear the 'Toner Low' error and allow for continuous printing.
If you are still experiencing problems, please contact us for further assistance.