CartridgeSave

The 50 Most Stunning Wall Murals From Around The World

Incredible Wall Murals

The painting of murals is often thought to be a modern, urban phenomenon, but, in fact, it’s nothing of the sort. People have been painting murals for millennia and some ancient murals, preserved in tombs in Egypt and under piles of ash in Pompeii, are still visible today.

In 2009, people feel compelled to paint murals for much the same reasons as they did thousands of years ago: to make a political statement, promote a particular ideology, commemorate a historical figure or loved one, or simply get their artwork seen by hundreds, if not thousands, on a daily basis.

Below, you’ll find images of some of the most incredible murals the world has to offer. Most are hand painted, with ordinary or spray paint, while some have been printed onto plastic or paper and “stuck” onto the wall. While the painting of murals is often contentious (one man’s masterpiece is another’s act of vandalism), we’re sure people wouldn’t object to having most of these fantastic works of art on display in their towns and cities.

1. Lloydminster, Canada

Image: Brian Robert Marshall

49. Iowa, USA

Image: Ashton B Crew

50. Oakland, USA

Image: Oakland Living

About the author:

Tom is a freelance writer, living and working in North London. Fascinated by art, design and gadgets, he spends much of his time writing and blogging on these subjects. His other interests lie in music, film, fashion, football and generally enjoying life!

jump to the comment form ↓

• User Gravatar deltadawn
    October 13th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Disappointingly, no images from political murals in Derry, Northern Ireland, or none of the comic strip murals in Brussels, Belgium.
    They are incredible!

• User Gravatar RWblake
    October 15th, 2009 at 5:11 pm

What, no murals from Philadelphia, PA? The city of murals and ones that clearly belong on this list.

• User Gravatar Mimi
    October 19th, 2009 at 6:00 am

How about those from Diego Rivera or even Michelangelo? Those are the most stunning murals, if you ask me.

• User Gravatar Max Radi
    October 19th, 2009 at 11:26 pm

I’ve always loved Wyland’s murals around San Diego. Like this one: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/251/525886536_d515ce66ac.jpg?v=0

• User Gravatar Michelle Rogers
    October 20th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Please take a look at the wide variety of murals in philadelphia. I just moved here but they have over 129 in the city.

• User Gravatar Daniel Smith
    October 20th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I second that deltadawn. The Murals in Northern Ireland, esp those in Derry are fantastic pieces of art, that one: mean a lot to the community in terms of politics and civil rights and two: are superb artworks. Some of these above, are outstanding, they should be included in every city to brighten up those gray walled areas.

• User Gravatar Mischa
    October 20th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I am surprised that there is not one mural from the city of Orgosolo, on the Italian island Sardinia. It is famous for its most politically paintings. Check the web for some very nice ones: http://goeurope.about.com/library/phot/bl_orgosolo_1.htm

• User Gravatar Kraytwin
    October 20th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Not exactly a comprehensive list. This is just one in Dallas,TX. Also, isn’t the Obama mural just an advertisement or even propaganda. How is that so great?

• User Gravatar Val Nelson
    October 20th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I too am surprised not to see any murals from Northern Ireland, especially Belfast and Derry. I’m still blown away from having seen them last year.

Philadelphia murals would also be a nice addition for the future too.

Nonetheless, these are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this collection of important art.

• User Gravatar Bart Scholten
    October 20th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Number 8 is by a group called “the London Police” they reside in Amsterdam. They’ll probably be able to tell you where number 8 is located.

• User Gravatar Pat
    October 20th, 2009 at 7:11 pm

They are fab. I like No. 4 showing the twin towers, it brings a tear to the eye. These are what I call art.

• User Gravatar Lina Tans
    October 21st, 2009 at 2:00 am

This list is seriously lacking in the murals of Cambridge MA. especially the one in Central Square behind Mass ave in the coop paring lot, on the side of the Middle East (rock/jazz/etc music venue), on the side of Trader Joes off Memorial drive Cambridge, as well as on Mystic ave between Somerville and Medford.
    These works are genius and I am not just writing this because I did them (because I didn’t).

• User Gravatar Dustin'
    October 21st, 2009 at 2:40 am

There are some great ones here. Being from Chicago and a beginning muralist myself, I was looking to see if some murals from my home town (there are so very many great murals here) as well as David Alfaro Siquerios (my favorite) or some graffiti-esque were gonna make it in your showcase. Its much to live up to with a title as “The 50 Most Stunning Wall Murals From Around The World”. I did learn of some new ones. Thanks.

• User Gravatar Martin Harrison
    October 24th, 2009 at 1:24 am

Cuba has some great wall murals, some planned and orchestrated, some improvised. Che in the Plaza de la Revolucion is a a major case in point, Too controversial, like the Belfast images?

• User Gravatar designzz
    November 11th, 2009 at 5:43 pm

There is also the ones at Kala Academy in Goa, India where every wall is painted into an art mural. Here’s one of the images. http://giovannidcunha.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/look-out.jpg

• User Gravatar Blog Header Guy
    November 23rd, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I was glad to see the murals by Eric Grohe. As an old walldog, (signpainter that paints on buildings), I’m always checking out other artists work.

Since moving to Ohio, I’ve spent many hours marveling at his work. Check out this cast concrete parking garage he did in Canton, OH http://www.ericgrohemurals.com/projects/parkinggarage.html

It is completely flat.

Roy

• User Gravatar Angela Bartels
    November 24th, 2009 at 5:07 am

Great murals although I really think Jesse Trevino’s Spirit of Healing Mural on the Santa Hospital in San Antonio, Texas should definitely be on this list.

• User Gravatar John Hiemstra
    January 13th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Great list of all time murals, though it should really be 500, glad to see both my favs Diego Rivera and John Pugh next to each other– seems italian renaissance deserves a spot on here, too- Sistine Chapel or Rafael rooms in Vatican…

• User Gravatar Web Design Maidstone
    March 14th, 2010 at 3:22 am

Stunning really is the right word…. more art in the cities please!

• User Gravatar Smith Cooch
    April 19th, 2010 at 5:00 am

Wonderful murals. It is very difficult to find all the best murals around the world as those of Brussels, Belgium or other countries. I love the beautiful “Andruchak” brazilian murals. You can go to http://www.picasaweb.com/andruchak.artebrasil or http://www.flickr.com/andruchak. Your can find more using a search engine. But this post is still fantastic.

• User Gravatar kevin hasson
    May 30th, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Great to see some of these fantastic murals from around the world but Ireland is also known around the world for its murals especially the ones in the bogside Derry N Ireland maybe you should check them out and add them to your site. Regards Kevin Hasson.

• User Gravatar Rashanda Harris
    November 4th, 2010 at 1:06 am

please see the work of Marcellous Lovelace he is amazing and one of my all time favorites … http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marcellous-Lovelace/31487559983

• User Gravatar Ayne
    November 12th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Awsome!!!! Can we nominate a Favorite Mural?

• User Gravatar Paul Freeman
    November 13th, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Hi. I live in the United KIngdom and visit London 2 or 3 times a month. I am interested in wall murals and have been trying to find as many as possible in the London area. I was interested to see your image no 9 which is new to me. Can you let me know the address where I can find the mural so that I can see it for myself please.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Freeman.

• User Gravatar Rachel
    March 18th, 2011 at 5:18 am

#45 is The Women’s Building in San Francisco, California

• User Gravatar Cleopatra Fitzgerald
    July 11th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

“Art imitates life”
    ~Aristotle

• User Gravatar Sjim
    July 3rd, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Number 8 is located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands!

• User Gravatar Alex Morris
    July 5th, 2013 at 10:25 am

Excellent, thanks for letting us know!

• User Gravatar the painting specialist
    March 29th, 2014 at 10:45 pm

amazing murals. great talent on here

Share your thoughts, leave a comment!

(get your own gravatar)